As a busy working mom of 6 (soon to be 7!) children, time out times are really important to me. Taking moments to myself (even if they are just a moment) are so important to me as they allow me to recharge, and provide the attention and energy necessary to give to my family and my work. Today I've teamed up with Green and Black's Chocolate and developed this recipe, designed for moms who are on the go, where a time out might happen in their car waiting to pick up their kids from school, or on a quiet break from work.
YOGURT PARFAIT WITH DARK CHOCOLATE
– vanilla Greek yogurt
– roasted walnuts
– granola (optional if trying to stay low carb)
– berries of choice (strawberries, blueberries, whatever is in the fridge)
– Green and Black's Dark 70% Chocolate
– sprigs of mint for garnish
– glass jars with tight sealing lids
1. In a glass jar, place a layer of yogurt, followed by a layer of nuts, granola and berries.
2. Repeat until jar is approximately 3/4 full. Set aside.
3. Take four squares of Green and Black's Dark 70% Chocolate and chop into small pieces.
4. Sprinkle the chocolate on top of the layers of yogurt, nuts, granola and berries, covering the surface completely.
5. Add a few berries and a mint leaf for garnish.
6. Enjoy your time out treat! I like to make a few of these at a time, seal them up and have back up time out treats in my fridge, ready to go when I need one!
Making time for yourself as a mom can be a challenging task at times. Amidst competing demands of work, family, friends, hobbies, and taking care of your own personal needs, it can seem like an impossible task! But it is possible! If you're struggling with how to make time for yourself and not feel guilty about it, here are my tips:
1. Schedule it
I cannot tell you how important it is to schedule in time out time the exact same way you would schedule a dental appointment, or soccer practice for one of your kids. Sometimes I think we give more priority to the needs of our teeth than we do our own mental and physical health!!! So literally put it in the calendar as a recurring appointment, schedule childcare for that time, and think of it as a necessary investment in you.
2. Make your car a place of rest
Depending on your season of life, it might not be possible to schedule a great deal of time to self care. Sometimes a time out can only happen in your car before you pick up your children from school- and that is OK! So think about ways you can make your car a place where you can take a little breather just for you. I like to ensure I always have an audio book on my phone that I can listen to as I wait to pick up my kids in the school parking lot, current magazines tucked into my glovebox, an essential oil spray in the car at all times that I can use for my body and my car for a quick refresh, and a tasty treat to consume all on my own (check out my super simple yogurt parfait recipe that is a go to time out treat for me!)
3. Put your phone away
In today's digital age it can be so easy to whip out your phone any second you get a moment. But what I have learned is that sometimes it is just more beneficial to keep the phone in your purse and sit in silence. It can be an uncomfortable feeling at first to just sit- but in the quiet is where I often get my best ideas, and feel the most refreshed. So the next time you find yourself with a moment alone and you are tempted to pull out your phone, try closing your eyes, taking a few deep breaths, and just sit in silence.
How do you make time for yourself in the midst of motherhood? Tell me in the comments below.
Special thanks to Green and Black's Chocolate for partnering with me on this post!